Lisa Montague brings to her healthcare finance practice in-depth experience representing public and private clients with strategizing, organizing, documenting, and closing complex financing deals across the U.S. and internationally
Focused on Healthcare Finance
A member of Nelson Hardiman’s finance practice group, Lisa represents cannabis investors and lenders, healthcare providers, including hospitals, physician organizations, long-term and behavioral care providers, telemedicine providers, and other healthcare-related organizations, in financial transactions. She focuses on mergers, acquisitions, asset-based loans, private equity, cash flow securitization, and debt and equity finance within the highly regulated cannabis and healthcare services industries.
Background in Project Finance
Before joining Nelson Hardiman, Lisa gained invaluable experience as an associate at Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy, LLP representing sophisticated banking institutions financing intricate, high-value projects for large-scale infrastructure and energy projects.
Life Outside the Firm
When she is not tackling the challenges of her clients, Lisa champions the public health issues of infertility, autism, and the opioid epidemic. She is not serious all the time, however, she enjoys spending time in the kitchen with her two sons cooking, baking, and creating new recipes (sometimes better described as culinary experiments).
- Secured Loan Represented private lender in negotiating and documenting a $30 million loan to a cannabis cultivator, manufacturer and distributor in Oregon, such loan evidenced by a convertible promissory note and secured by deeds of trusts on three pieces of real property.
- Restructuring/Spinoff Represented owners and managers in recapitalization of private equity family, separating and spinning off a $200 million separate entity providing a portfolio of secured commercial loans in cannabis space. Created the new cannabis lender for additional capital raising via private offering, reverse merger into Canadian public company, IPO into Canadian market, or merger and acquisition.
- Secured Financing Represented lender in documenting $11 million secured loan to cannabis extractor, structured to provide to lender with security interests in intellectual property and rights to use cannabis licenses, real estate and personal property, as well as equity pledges and guaranties.
- Secured Financing Represented lender in documenting $4.5million secured loan to medical cannabis cultivation and distribution business, structured to provide lender with security interests in intellectual property and rights to use cannabis licenses, real estate and personal property, as well as equity pledges and guaranties.
- Secured Financing Represented lender in documenting $4.0 million secured loan to cannabis manufacturing and distribution business, structured to provide lender with first priority deed of trust on one property and second priority deed of trust on another, security interests in intellectual property and rights to use cannabis licenses, and personal property, as well as equity pledges and guaranties.
- Asset Sale Represented seller of substantially all assets of a medicinal and adult use cannabis business, including rights under a management agreement and real property in $4.5 million sale transaction.
- Stock Sale Represented seller of equity in cannabis dispensary in $4 million sale transaction. Successfully negotiated and closed a cannabis operator address change by the purchaser on eve of the city implementing its moratorium on address changes.
- Multi-facility Acquisition Assisted medical services company in acquiring three new facilities through real estate investment platform exercising options on over $20M worth of property.
- Refinancing Lender’s counsel for $8M refinancing of multiple dental practices. Successfully, papered the transaction from term sheet to funding, including drafting deeds of trust, equity pledges and corporate and personal guaranties.
December 8, 2020
September 14, 2020
June 9, 2020
May 6, 2020
February 11, 2020
August 8, 2019
March 15, 2019
August 25, 2017
August 16, 2017
February 11, 2020
May 6, 2020
August 8, 2019
Jul 10, 2019
Nov 08, 2017