Shamira Dwarica provides legal services to a wide range of healthcare organizations, advising on regulatory and employment matters and also supporting clients in litigation and administrative legal matters.
Healthcare Law Experience
Shamira’s work includes both healthcare and life science regulatory matters and litigation. Her litigation work has included defense of fraud and abuse matters, as well as strategies for medical staff and peer review matters. Her regulatory and transactional work has included corporate practice of medicine compliance, healthcare organizational and professional licensing, as well as compliance with a broader range of federal and California healthcare regulations. She has worked extensively on behavioral health matters as well.
Shamira thrives on understanding and enabling clients to understand not only the technical aspects of laws and regulations, but also the practical implications that business owners and operators need to understand. She has worked regularly on business formation and development issues (including state and local compliance requirements), drafted corporate documentation, and non-disclosure agreements. Shamira has experience drafting contracts, and on occasion has assisted clients to register trademarks with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Shamira has robust experience in research and drafting memoranda, and preparing discovery requests for various stages of arbitration and litigation.
Before Nelson Hardiman
Prior to law school, Shamira served as a paralegal handling employment and immigration matters, an experience that drove her to pursue a career in the law. During law school, she interned at the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office, served as a judicial extern to Magistrate Judge Willie J. Epps Jr., U.S. Courts for the Western District of Missouri, externed at the U.S. Attorney’s Office, and interned at the Entrepreneurship Legal Clinic. Prior to law school, Shamira served in Teach for America, advocating to provide students with the tools to succeed.
Life Outside the Firm
New to the Los Angeles area, Shamira indulges her inner foodie, regularly exploring the City’s restaurants and open-air market on weekends. As much as she remains in awe of the Pacific Ocean, Shamira prefers the beaches of her native Trinidad and Tobago.
University of Missouri School of Law, J.D.
Wesleyan University, B.A.
Recipient, Certificate in Social, Cultural, and Critical Theory; Segal AmeriCorps Education Award
Honors: McNair Fellow and Hughes Fellow
California State Bar (admission pending)
- Researched and wrote a client alert concerning new healthcare regulations under the Biden/Harris administration No Surprises Act.
- Researched state statutes about the corporate practice of medicine for regulatory and transactional matters.
- Researched laws for non-profit healthcare entities in all 50 states regarding providing access to abortion services for a pro bono client.
- Researched and wrote memoranda discussing litigation strategies for a defendant charged with elder abuse.
- Drafted motions and briefs, conducted research and developed memoranda for criminal prosecutions.
- Researched state and local laws concerning business formation and development for professional corporations and other healthcare entities.
- Drafted company by-laws, non-disclosure agreements, and contracts.