Who We Are
Nelson Hardiman punches above its weight as top-ranked legal counsel to the healthcare industry. Since 2010, the firm has consistently earned a Top-Tier Firm rating in administrative/regulatory and/or healthcare law from U.S. News & World Report – the only California firm of its size to receive this honor. Our attorneys have defended healthcare providers in investigations and actions before the widest range of federal and California state regulatory agencies, tried cases for clients at every level, and provided top notch counsel to empower clients to achieve their business objectives.
How We Lead
Our recognition as leaders at the intersection of healthcare law and business has encouraged many of the top legal minds in healthcare to join us. We take our role in industry leadership seriously. Our select group of healthcare attorneys focuses on technical and strategic regulatory issues for healthcare giants and market-leading entrepreneurs. Our strategic positioning reflects the surging demand for healthcare law expertise driven by the burgeoning transformation of the U.S. healthcare system, and positions us and our clients ahead of the competition.
What We Do
Positioned at the forefront of the healthcare industry, we offer innovative problem solving and a mission-driven commitment to provide not just technical legal support but a strategic perspective on the future of U.S. healthcare. We leverage a deep understanding of the industry’s complexities and regulatory challenges to deliver innovative and proactive compliance solutions.
Below are a few recent examples evidencing our leadership in the healthcare arena:
- Behavioral Health We played a leading role in the launch of the American Addiction Treatment Association (AATA) to establish standards that help the industry comply with the ever-evolving regulatory landscape.
- Capital Raise Enabled a $100 million capital raise through Reg D and Reg S offerings in innovative new healthcare business.
- Corporate Practice of Medicine We saved a publicly-traded national franchisor from being forced to leave California, removing threats to the state franchising model and clarifying professional business standards regarding the corporate practice of medicine doctrine.
- False Claims Act We are nationally known as the “go-to” firm to defend hospitals and other healthcare providers against whistleblowers and the government for submitting false claims for medical services to Medicare and other federal healthcare programs.
- Healthcare Factoring Secured over $50 million in client obligations under new regulatory scheme utilizing a new cash flow model for healthcare financing.
- Healthcare Policy We authored the book, From ObamaCare to TrumpCare, solidifying our position as industry thought leaders on the future of U.S. healthcare.
- Litigation Heavyweights In Matthew v. Harris, we will argue on behalf of three psychotherapists before the California Supreme Court to protect the right to privacy in client communications.
- Marijuana As the leading law firm on regulated substance compliance, we help shape the regulatory climate locally and statewide, representing 45 of the 135 original dispensaries in Los Angeles under Proposition D, which we co-authored.